Monday, June 26, 2006

Last update from Canada


This will be our last update from Canada. DoT and I are leaving Ottawa this morning to head to southern Ontario, and then will fly to Beijing on Wednesday morning. We haven't packed yet, but will be starting that as soon as I finish this blog update. We've been piling most of the stuff we'll be taking in one spot, with the exception of clothes, so hopefully the packing won't take too long. Here's a picture of everything we need to bring... looks like we may need one suitcase just for all this stuff!

Yesterday we went to visit our friend Jie who is originally from China and living here now. She fed us some really yummy Chinese buns, and talked to us about the trip. She also translated a letter I wrote to E and A's foster family that I hope to somehow get to the foster mom. I'm planning to deliver the letter, a small photo album and some self-addressed envelopes to the foster mom, in the hopes that she will send us some additional information about the girls as well as her address so that we can keep in contact with her over the years. I'd like to send her pictures and updates of how the girls are doing as they grow up.

Jie also looked at the referall information we received. One really neat thing that we learned is that their names together mean 'happiness'. The symbol on the right is the Chinese word for 'happiness' (xiyue). So, when they named the girls, the orphanage staff split the word happiness and gave a part of it to each of them. I love this.

Well, that's it for now. Hopefully the next post will be from Beijing. Take care, all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

K and E's Dad: I cannot imagine how you must be feeling as you begin this journey to your girls. I will be thinking about you over the next few weeks and especially on the 2nd.

I cannot wait until you are back and we finally get to meet E and A.

Good luck with everything.
SP

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Chris and E.
I don't know you much but I am very exciting for both of you. I remember, like it was yesterday, the way I felt those couple of days before departure time when we adopted our first daughter Tatiana. It felt so unreal to think that I was going to be a mother in only a couple of days...
For Tatiana we went to Hunan province but for Britanie we were also in Jiangxi province, Nanchang city. Just a suggestion: besides the organised tours, take the time to go for a walk in the streets around your hotel. You then see how real life is for the people in China. For me it was a wonderfull experience the both time.
Have fun. Take it easy, one day at a time. And do not feel sorry if you are too tired one day to go on the organised tour, it's quality time with your childs.
Friendship, Chantal Lajoie.

jag said...

BON VOYAGE and GOD BLESS!! We look forward to "joining you" on your journey as you go forward to bring your Happiness home... xox

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathy and Chris,

Have a wonderful flight tomorrow!! We are so excited for you. Enjoy every second!

Dena, Brian, Hilary and Julia