Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rants

Okay, enough is enough. What is wrong with retailers these days? Was it always like this and I was blissfully unaware? Or has the race to be the first out with the new season or holiday gotten out of hand? You know, every year, just after Thanksgiving, I would hear people starting to complain about how the stores were setting up their Christmas displays and it was only October. But I didn't care... I love Christmas and the sooner I start seeing the decorations the better.

But, apparently consistency in my views is not something I strive for. Because this week when I was shopping for sandals for the girls, I found out the I've missed sandal season. Yes, believe it or not, on May 11th when I was looking for sandals, thinking we may need them in the next couple of weeks, I was told that "sandal season is over". Okay, maybe in the hot, sunny climates of the southern States, but for heaven's sake, we live in Canada! We have had maybe one or two days when my kids could have worn sandals so far this year... and I think I'm being generous here. I don't really think there have been any days yet where we could have been in sandals. (Because, as everyone knows... you don't wear socks with sandals!) But, alas, apparently I have missed sandal season.

And it's not just about the sandals. A couple of months ago, when I finally surrendered to the fact that my children's stomachs were hanging out of the bottom of their shirts and I really needed to get them some larger clothes, guess what I found in the stores then (in February/March!). That's right. Sun dresses, tank tops, Capri's and shorts, hats, sunglasses and bathing suits. Okay, so I know some people may be lucky enough to be heading south for a vacation in the sun at that time of the year, but surely not the majority of us. Where were the long sleeved shirts and pants? Apparently, we were into the summer season then.

And don't even get me started about the limited choice I already have in clothing because I am not willing to dress the girls in pink or purple all the time. When I went into Kiddie Kobbler on Monday I saw a display of about 40 different pairs of sandals for girls. About 37 of them were pink. Same thing everywhere else. I got to the point where I was walking into stores asking the sales clerk to bring me any sandal (boys or girls) that wasn't pink and was available in a 7.5 or 8.0. And as of today the girls are still going to be wearing running shoes, or going barefoot, all summer long.

Of course pink shoes would probably match their ensembles of choice these days...

IMG_2921

IMG_2920

3 comments:

Playful Platypus said...

Tell me about it!! In early Feb I went into stores thinking I might hit some good sales of winter parkas and snowpants for next year as they started clearing out the winter stuff and getting ready for spring. Because after all, the winter was nearing its end and spring would arrive in six to eight weeks. So of course the stores, being early as they always are, would be wanting to start getting ready...

START??!!!??

I found all of about six snowpants and twelve jackets - none the right sizes. Like you say, there were t-shirts, shorts, swimsuits EVERYWHERE!!!

Excuse me, but just because most of this stuff comes from China and most of the stores are probably US-owned doesn't mean we should ignore the reality of the Canadian climate!!!

At the rate they work, the back-to-school stuff will probably be in the stores at the beginning of June and out before the middle of August...

CB said...

O-k, I was worried that this might happen...now that you're at home, you don't have enough intellectual stimulation and you will have no recourse, but to ponder the unanswerables of our time....like why there are so many single socks left over when you finish the laundry. These are good questions, but as indicated above, there are no answers. (My solution is to buy only one type of socks - then they all match.) You're best bet is to try yoga or psycho-therapy, where you can learn to "let these things go..." Of course, you could always go back to work, where dressing your children in season is the least of your worries!

Unknown said...

And the salespeople don't listen!

I was shopping for new eyeglass frames.
Me: I want X.
Them: Oh look, exactly what you want.

Me: No, that is Y, I want X
Them: How about these?

Me: No, that is Y, I want X!
Them: Look, these just came in, they're VERY popular!

Me: No, that is Y, I really do want X!!
Them: Are you sure you want X?

AAgggjhhh

BTW, I went to six shops before I got X.

lb