Saturday, March 28, 2009

What a week

Hi again all,

Sorry for the delay in posts. It's been quite a week around here. Last weekend, A had two febrile seizures that landed her in the hospital from Saturday to Tuesday. As much as I like the Children's Hospital here in Ottawa (CHEO), I'd rather not visit it again. All of the doctors have assured us that febrile seizures are scary for parents/caregivers, but are not dangerous and cause no damage to the child. I'm trying to remember that while I prepare for our next one. (I have no doubt that we'll have more since E and A both have frequent recurring fevers - about every 4 to 6 weeks.)

The only good thing to come out of the whole experience is that it gave us an "in" to the infectious disease group at CHEO. They ran a whole bunch of checks and have decided that E and A's fevers are not caused by anything chronic. They suspect they have a familial fever syndrome -- but have told us it is quite likely that they'll never be able to diagnose it for sure. So, we will just have to live with the uncertainty - which is not the easiest thing for me.

When A had her seizures last weekend, she stopped breathing and her lips turned blue, which completely freaks me out. The doctors have said that this is not unusual, that when she needs a breath she'll take it, and that she will breath again when the seizure ends. But if any of you have experience with seizures and can reassure me of the same thing, please let me know. Maybe if I hear the same thing from many people, I'll stop being so worried. (PLEASE, if you aren't going to reassure me, than don't comment at all. I'm worried enough, thanks.) Looking on the positive side, we're also told that by the time children reach the age of about 5, their brains are developed enough that they won't have seizures anymore. So, we just have to get through the next year and a half, or so.

For right now, we are all well. No fevers in the house now, and aside from some crankiness and whining over the same toy, the kids are all running around and generally happy. I'd post a picture, but we aren't able to transfer pictures to our computer directly, and I'm too lazy right now to transfer them to the laptop and then onto the computer. Maybe DoT will post more pics this week.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

K...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update, K. I know nothing about seizures, good or bad. I hope you and the kids are well.
lb

MC said...

I remember very well the first time I read about febrile seizures (first time BR had a fever I started reading anything I could find about babies and fevers, fretful Mother that I am). I remember thinking I was glad to have read about them, because the main message was that it is a fairly common and completely harmless thing. They mentioned everything you described, and then said not to worry. Which is a lot easier said then done I'm sure...

The Fabulous Us ! said...

Our daughter had a febrile...we completely freaked and called an ambulance...we have never ever experienced anything so scary and heartwrenching (and her lips did turn blue and she wasnt responding to me screaming at her)...
Thankfully it was just one but we too were assured it is scarier for the parents and that it wouldnt harm her in the long run...

I hope its grown out of soon. I find the Advil/Tylenol cocktail keeps her under control at first sign of a fever but I have to keep on top of it

:)
Amy
Fellow China Mama

K said...

Thanks for the comments all. And thanks, Amy, for your note. It does make me feel better knowing the blue lips are just part of the seizure -- not unusual.

K..