Monday, October 30, 2006

Another Monday update

So, I just noticed that this is the third Monday in a row that I've updated the blog. Maybe I'll try to make it a regular thing. (Okay, so I've just jinxed it.)

The exciting news of this week is that A is now crawling too. A little bit. She knows how to crawl (we've seen her do it), but she doesn't much care for it. She'd much prefer to sit on her butt and cry and hold out her arms to DoT or I, until we either pick her up or bring her whatever it is that she wants. We try not to give in, to make her crawl, but so far it seems she has more perseverance than we do. It might be the really, really annoying whine that goes along with the cry. :-) Hopefully she'll get better at crawling soon, and will be getting around like E is.

Now, that both girls are crawling, their new preferred way of getting around is walking. They like to take hold of our hands and, with our help, walk around the house. Problem is that neither of them is tall enough to allow this to happen without us having to bend over. So it makes for sore backs. A woman at my Chinese playgroup suggested looping a towel or scarf under their armpits and holding on to that. The only problem is that they then lean forward onto the scarf -- so it's not much good for working on improved balance. But it does save our backs, so we do it every now and again.

E's crawling has really improved. She moves pretty quickly now, and when DoT takes hold of A's hands to help her walk, E likes to race them. It's pretty funny, and usually ends up with E and A both laughing. I may try to get that on video and if I do, I'll post it.

Both girls are teething, and I'm hoping that's the cause of their sleep problems. They are back to waking up a couple of times a night (at least) and, unlike before, when one wakes up and starts crying, it wakes the other one up. We may have to put them into separate rooms.

This week we booked our flights to New Brunswick for Christmas, and have reserved a mini-van for our time there. When I was in university I had a roommate who always said she'd make two trips before ever owning a mini-van, and I whole-heartedly agreed. Now here I am booking mini-vans and car seats for vacations. Times have changed.

Well, that's it for today. Have a great week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi K & C,

I think what you will have to do is make another trip down to southern Ontario. I know of a couple of young lads that would love to hold on to their cousins' hands and help them walk all around the house...and since J & M haven't yet quite grown as tall as us "grown-ups" (although they are working on it!), their backs would probably handle it easily!

PF

PS -- Truly hope you can capture the race on video and post it here...we would love to see it!

Anonymous said...

Hi K & C.
I think probably your best bet would be a trip to southern Ontario. There would be all kinds of help with the walking, and I don't mean just J&M. Give the girls a hug for me. Maybe see you on the 10th of Dec. MEG