Friday, August 07, 2009

Help!

I have already asked many of you, in person, for suggestions of food/recipes that we can make for our family meals. Here's the opportunity for the rest of you to pull out your family favourites and pass them on. But before you do, read on...

I think all of you know how much I hate cooking, so make sure your meals can be prepared with a maximum of 20 minutes of prep time. :-) Also, and here is the hard part, we are no longer allowed the following foods in our diets:

- wheat
- dairy (all dairy, i.e., cheese, yogurt, milk. Butter apparently is okay, as is almond milk, rice milk, or coconut milk. No soy milk though.)
- eggs
- tomatoes
- cranberries (no big problem there).

The results of A's allergy test indicated high sensitivity to the above, and the naturopath wants us to eliminate all these things from our diets. Or at least A's and E's diets. But it seems, at the least, impolite to eat all these things in front of them when A and E can't have them. (Note: ketchup, cheese, and veggie dips were previous staples in our household.)

In the summer we're getting by since we like to bbq, so meals typically consist of barbecued chicken or pork, with rice or potatoes and veggies. And the kids like most fruits. But lunches are a bit difficult. I don't like a big meal for lunch, and my old standards are now verboten. So far we've been eating lots of rice and rice noodles (although we're missing tomato sauce), and some soup (you'd be amazed at how many soups, you'd never expect it of, have tomato in them). And it's getting tiresome. Also, we can't seem to learn to like the wheat free bread we've found (mostly rice bread). So sandwiches are out. If any of you have a good wheat free bread machine recipe, let me know. I've put the emphasis on "good" because I've found lots of recipes, but so far I wouldn't say any of them are good.

To end, in a somewhat rare move, I've decided to put a photo on this blog that has me in it. :-) Here's the photo that will go with our 6-month report back to China for B's adoption. Can you tell I got a bit of sun the day before this was taken?

IMG_3354 edited

2 comments:

MC said...

Wow, that's a tough one. I've dealt with lots of dietary requirements (all of the above except for cranberries), but never all at once. I guess you have to swear off pizza for a good long while!

Hopefully the good news here is that you have a diagnosis and you can help A feel better.

My first thought about lunch was rice paper wraps. I haven't bothered with them myself as I usually just use tortillas, but my sister uses them lots (especially when she was gluten-free). You can put anything you want inside, like shredded cucumber, shredded carrots, a slice of ham, whatever you would put on a regular sandwich, roll them up and voila.

I would also take a look at some filling soups (with potatoes and/or beans), and good substantial salads (that can also be wrapped in rice paper). Maybe I'll leave the comment at that, and just try to assemble some recipes offline :)

Scott said...

Have you tried different kinds of fish. There are a lot of varities that can really vary a diet. Salmon, trout, haddock, sole.

I make them with a nice butter, lemon and basil sauce. Katie likes them :)