Wednesday, August 26, 2009

On the mend (hopefully)

Hi again,

Well, here we are almost a week after the girls' surgeries and things are definitely better than they were. Both girls are now feeling quite good. The only remaining problems are more mine than theirs. We were told by the CHEO ENT team that they are not allowed to run, jump, climb, etc., for two weeks after their surgeries. So I think I holler "don't run!" at least a few hundred times every day. Running is their normal pace, even in the house, so it's hard for them to remember. Also, they don't understand why they shouldn't run (I'm not all that clear on it myself).

The other challenge right now is getting them to drink enough. We were given a guideline that says they should each drink about 1 litre of water, daily. And the ENT coordinator told us that was a minimum. When I complained about how much water that was, he told me just to have them take a couple sips of water every fifteen minutes. No problem. Yesterday, I set the kitchen timer to go off every 10 minutes while they were awake and every time it went off, all day long, I made them take a couple of swallows of juice or water. At the end of the day, E had drunk about 500 ml, and A had drunk about 600 ml. So we're not really anywhere near where they are supposed to be. Today I'm setting the timer again all day, making them take bigger drinks every 10 minutes, and I suspect they won't nap today so that should also help. We'll see.

Of course, all this drinking means we are also making more trips to the bathroom than we're used to. Our days are just jam packed with fun stuff... drink, pee, drink, pee, repeat, repeat again. :-)

We were warned that they will again have a fair amount of pain when the scabs fall off in their throats; and were told this would happen anywhere from 5 days to 10 days after the surgeries. We're really looking forward to that. (We're on day 6 right now.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy crap! I don't read your blog for a few weeks, and look what happens!

Are you still doing the special diet thing?

LB