Thursday, August 20, 2009

Surgery done

So here I sit beside E's bed at the Children's Hospital, and what do you know, CHEO has an unsecured network enabling me to check in with you all.

Both surgeries are done, and from what the doctor tells us, they went fine. Both girls bled a bit during the surgery, but not much. We're in the recovery room right now waiting for the girls to have drank enough that the hospital staff are willing to let then out of here. Which judging by A would have been about a half hour I go, I'm guessing; and judging by E may not be until tomorrow. :-) Kidding. We'll get out of here sooner or later.

The girls are participating in a randomized, double-blind drug trial to test out the dosing of a new medication, not yet approved for tonsillectomies in Canada. We know from the forms that one of them has been given the drug and one has been given a placebo. And now, shortly after the A's surgery (and a couple of hours after E's surgery), A is singing, talking, and playing; has drank I don't know how many cups of apple juice; and eaten at least three Popsicles. E is sleeping right now after her second dose of morphine; not yet having finished one cup of apple juice; and choking down a half a Popsicle. Hmmmm, which one do you think is on the real drug? :-)

Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised. A is doing great, with little to no complaining about her throat. And even E, who obviously is less comfortable following the surgery, hasn't been complaining too much. I feared we might have to non-stop crying kids, who both refused to drink anything. So far, we're doing okay. However, one of the nurses here did warn me that often kids do better for the first few days, and then around day 3 or 4 it gets a bit worse. We'll wait and see, I guess. Nothing else we can do.

I'll update again later, if I get a chance.

4 comments:

MC said...

Great to hear the surgery is behind you. I've been crossing my fingers all morning :) Hopefully the girls keep feeling better every day from now on!

MC

Samantha said...

Now is the fun part - all the popsicles you want!

Feel better soon!

From,
Max & Vanh

Anonymous said...

Delighted that the surgery went well.

In answer to your "cri du coeur" for recipes, I have found a couple that you may want to try. Can I forward them to your work email?

Hope the girls feel better soon.(I expect you'll be the popsicle and smoothie queen for the next few weeks.) --EG

Anonymous said...

Glad the girls did well. Let's hope the recovery is quick.

SP