Monday, July 24, 2006

Day 1 in Ottawa

The drive back to Ottawa went surprisingly well. Amazingly, both girls fell asleep about 10 minutes into the trip and slept for about 3 hours! So we were half way home by the time they woke up. We then stopped for lunch, and neither one of them made too much of a fuss about getting back into the car seats and driving some more. It wasn't until we were within one hour from home that the whining started. And the last 20 minutes or so were a real challenge with E. DoT was throwing toy after toy at her in an attempt to distract her from a melt-down, and succeeded until we were about 1 minute from home. So, not bad.

Our first day in Ottawa went pretty well. DoT and I both managed to shower! And we went for a walk with the double-stroller this morning, and for the first 20 minutes neither girl cried! Then, true to form, E started crying so we had to cut the walk short. This afternoon I mowed the lawn, and DoT went and picked up a few things at the grocery store. It was a really quick trip to the grocery store because our friends dropped off the essentials when we arrived back in Ottawa the night before. That was great. This morning when I decided to make eggs for the girls, I actually had eggs in the fridge to use. And bananas and watermelon -- both staples for the girls.

Did I mention the A is now eating real food (food other than formula I mean)? When we first got them, A would only take formula, but now is eating pretty much anything we serve.

I think both girls are a bit stressed with the changes in their lives. A has been grinding her teeth, and rolling her head a lot -- which I read are signs of anxiety. And tonight, E woke up about 1.5 hours after she went to bed, screaming. It took me about 45 minutes to calm her down and get her back to bed. And she did some teeth grinding in there too. Hopefully once we've been here for awhile (at least longer than a week which is a record so far with these two girls), they'll start to settle down.

That's it for now. I'll try to post again soon. And I'll try to include at least one picture. I know they've really fallen off since we've gotten back to Canada.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi C&K&E&A,
We were glad to hear the trip home went fairly well.I'm sure the girls will settle in now that they are staying in the same place. It has to be hard for them all the travelling.I wish we lived closer so
we could be there to help.We can't wait to see you all. Maybe when P&J are down I'll go back with them.E&A's belated birthday parcels
are on the way.It's hard for you all now but everthing will work out soon. Take care. C's M&D

Anonymous said...

Kathy:

I send you an e-mail at your sympatico account. Do you check it at all? Or is this the best way to reach you?

Glad to hear that the trip home went well. You must be so relieved to be home.

SP

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & wife,

You must be trill to be home at last.
Now you will all fall into a day-to-day routine and everything will become normal: sleeping, eating, fun time, nap time, etc ...
Soon your lives will be back to normal and you will start wondering how your previous life was. Believe me.

It seems that nights & eating are getting better for the girls, that's a pretty good sign.
We are all better parents when we are rested and eating well.
Enjoy you new life to the Max.

Friendship, Chantal Lajoie

Anonymous said...

I am on call if you need me. Just don't ask me to cook. I can certainly hand out bananas, watermelon and baby cookies, though!

With love and best wishes for a good night's sleep.

Auntie 'Em

Anonymous said...

so glad your home .things will get beter when things get back to normal.I mean in yiur own home at least. All our love Jan and Aunt K