Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Thanks for the comments, and more details

Hi all -- I want to start off by saying thanks for the lovely comments people have been leaving. I'm not able to comment myself from here, so I can't reply to them in the comments. But I am reading and enjoying them. Thanks for all your support.

Today was the day we were supposed to visit Leping city which is where the girls are from. We didn't end up going though. We had to decide yesterday whether or not we were going, and there was no way we were going to be taking the two girls on a bus for 7 hours. So, one of us had hoped to go and the other stay back with the girls. But given the way things went yesterday we knew there was no way that one of us could manage with the two of them, so we didn't say we were going. C & M told us later last night that M could stay and help me and C could go with DOT to Leping. So, off we went to find our guide to see if we could still go. Well, it turned out that none of the Leping families had signed up to go to the city, so they had made different plans -- one of our guides would go to Wanzai with the one family that did decide to go there, and the other would take whoever wanted to go shopping. Our guide told us that if we really wanted to go, she would take us to Leping, but then the group wouldn't get the shopping trip. I didn't want to be the reason the rest of the group didn't get to this particular mall, so we decided to pass on the trip. I know there are pictures of Leping on the Internet, so at least we'll have those. And we weren't going to be able to go to the orphanage or meet the foster families anyhow. We did get a small photo album when we received the girls which included pics of the orphanage, too. Who knows, maybe when the girls are older we'll make a family trip back to China and will check it out then. I'm also hoping at least one of the foster moms of E and A will send us some pictures.

Last night was a better night for all of us. The two girls were asleep by about 8:00 p.m. At 1 a.m. E woke up, but I had her back to sleep (in her crib!) in about 10 minutes. However, she did wake up again at 5:30 a.m., and we were up for the day then. So, I'm pretty tired now.

Today DoT and I bought a couple of strollers which we will have to use now and in Beijing. They were really cheap and are quite nice. The only problem is that E doesn't seem to fall asleep as easily in them. She's able to hold on to the sides or front of the stroller and therefore doesn't need to lean back. And she pretty much refuses to do that. So, no sleep. Tonight I finally picked her up out of the stroller after I'd been wheeling her around for about 45 minutes, and she put her head right down and fell asleep immediately. She'd been fighting sleep for so long in the stroller, that she fell asleep right away as soon as her head had a bit of support.

So, I've been asked for details about the two girls. Here's a start to what I can tell you...

A:
  • the updated papers we got on her say that she is 8 kg (but we haven't weighed her yet)
  • she eats her formula easily, but doesn't really want to eat anything else
  • she is very good natured -- smiles a lot and is generally very content to do whatever we want
  • she's a great sleeper -- usually about 11 or 12 hours a night

E:

  • her papers say she's 7 kg (but we haven't weighed her yet either)
  • she won't eat formula and for the first day lived on cheerios, baby mum mums, and arrowroot cookies. She's now less thrilled with the crackers and cookies, but today she ate congee and prunes (she had a bit of a problem with constipation -- 'has' being the key word there. The prunes did the trick really quickly.)
  • she refuses apple juice when offered it, but if you have a bottle of it around she's likely to take it and start drinking it herself
  • she does NOT like taking a bath -- but then again, that assessment is based on one attempt only and she's got a mind of her own. She doesn't much like anything that she herself doesn't want at that exact moment.

We got lots of smiles and even some laughs out of both of them today. We also had a couple more crying fits. But generally they are not lasting long.

Neither one is crawling or walking. In fact, when sitting on the bed, they are likely to fall over after a few minutes if they are not supported. I was a bit concerned about this, but it seems that others of the Leping babies are not crawling either. And today both of them were supporting their weight on their legs when we held them up by their arms. (Yesterday I'm not sure they were doing that.) Both like to babble to themselves and us. And both are facinated by glasses. If DoT and I arrive home with our glasses in one piece it will be a miracle. :-)

Well, that's it for tonight. I'm going to bed early, and hopefully we'll all sleep 12 hours. (Yeah, right.) Here are a couple more pictures of them (this time with them both asleep).

Take care all.

P.S. This posting is getting harder. The buttons and instructions are all in Chinese, and the more sleep deprived I get the harder it is for me to remember which button I hit to publish and which button is for something else (like say delete).

P.P.S. While DoT and I still maintain that these girls are not identical twins - the Chinese people we encounter all seem to think they are. Don't know whether it's a cultural thing, or whether they will actually look much more alike to us when E's suntan fades a bit and they start to share facial expressions, which doesn't happen that often yet. (They're complexions are not nearly as different now as they appeared in the referral photos.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello K, C, E&A!

I probably caught this post shortly after it was written - I hope you're all settling in for a good night's sleep.

Your description of E reminds me a little bit of T - not in the eating department (T's always been a really good eater) but in the "I'm my own person and I'll do it MY way" department. And you know how sweet she is. :-)

If you can't keep up daily postings, we'll all understand. We'll miss them, but we'll understand!!

Too bad you didn't get to make the trip to Leping. (Hey, who needs a guide to go on a shpping trip?!?) But if you got photos from the orphanage, that's a bonus.

I was meaning to ask you before you left but forgot - Might you be able to bring some Chinese money back for me (cash)? I want to send some to T's village granny and don't have any (guess I haven't tried going to an exchange place here, don't know how easy it would be to get Chinese yuan). I had been going to send American money last time I wrote, thinking she could exchange it, but Jie told me you have to have a passport to exchange money in China and I doubt granny has one (plus she'd probably have to go to the city and that might also be a challenge). I could use up to $100 worth (spread it out over the next few letters to granny). Only if you have enough extra money and don't mind.

Q (T's mom)

jag said...

Thanks for the details on the girls! It already sounds like one of them is taking after Dad and the other after Mom. I won't specify which is which... :-D

And it sounds like you're hanging in there OK, adjusting to your new life one day at a time.

Although I'm sure the heat is of a different "texture" in China, it might be reassuring to know that it's been sweltering hot here too, with wicked rain storms. So, not only are we keeping you in our prayers, we're sweatin' right along with you!
PAX,
J.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are getting progressively better sleep wise.

Thanks for filling us in on E and A and for the pictures too. Nothing cuter than a baby sleeping and they are certainely adorable! Really can't wait to meet them. Are they equally comfortable with both of you? How is the novice dad fairing?

It's too bad you weren't able to make it to Leping. Sounds like it just wasn't meant to be. I'm really surprised no one else in the group had planned to go. If it's any consolation, I checked with a China picture service (Asia Threads) and sure enough, they have Leping on their list. And I think their CDs have upwards of 200 pics of each city.

And can I say WOW for being able to continue posting. I never managed to post anything past day 2 much to the chagrin of DH and family. And I even had a computer in the room!

Hugs
MJ

Anonymous said...

Hi K and C:

Things sound like they are going well and improving by the day. See you guys are already becoming parenting experts.

The girls are absolutely beautiful (aren't all sleeping babies?).

I continue to think about you lots and I am so happy to be able to share in this experience via the blog site.

Today I am typing this from my office - Yes, it was back to work for me today. I am trying to ease back into it. Just finished cleaning up the office and getting my stuff unpacked. I need to have lunch.....OK, where are all of my lunch buddies!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi K & C --

I'm so glad to be able to keep up with you and your family additions. It's a real relief to read about your experiences with E and A, because I had a dream in which you two returned WITHOUT the twins. Fortunately, my dreams have NEVER come true. Guess it is because you are so on my mind these days.

I'm glad sleep is becoming more frequent for all concerned! Sounds like you are turning your experiences into parenting wisdom -- adding to the store you had already gathered. Best wishes on the rest of your trip -- looking forward to seeing you all when you return.

CoolCat-ES

Anonymous said...

One trick I learned early on - you sleep when the babies sleep during the day. You'll need all the physical and emotional energy you've got when they're awake.

But they do look sweet when they sleep, don't they?

Thank you so much for sharing all this with us. It's a great way to start the day here on the other side of the world.

lb

Anonymous said...

Fingerprints and earprints will tell you if the girls are identical twins! And if they are, then we have an interesting study of nature vs nurture in the determination of personality traits. Hmmmm, could be a thesis topic ...

With love to all of you
Auntie 'Em

Anonymous said...

Hello All
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date - the girls look so beautiful. In spite of the sleep deprivation, it must be fun to learn about their personalities (and to practice those new parenting skills - thank goodness for cheerios!).

Enjoy the rest of your - safe travels.
Jane H.

Anonymous said...

Courtesy of the Arrogant Worms:

As a small baby Each time I cried
My mother came to me
To ease my worries and calm my fears with a sweet melody

I remember hearing The sound of her voice
As I screamed in my drool and my pee
She'd slug back some whisky
light up a smoke
and gently sing to me

Go to sleep little leach
You sucked mama dry
Made her more crazy
With every cry
.
.
.
Now i'm a father with my own child
Who screams and screams and screams
He screams and screams and screams and screams
and screams and screams and creams and screams!
I'm up at 11, at 2 and 4
And all I can do is yell is WHY?
And I swear that I hear my mom laughing at me
As I sing that lullaby
.
.
.Go to sleep little leach, your driving me mad

etc.

lb

Anonymous said...

Oh, and T also refused to take a bath the whole time we were in China. I didn't push it, got by with a few "sink & facecloth baths". When we got home, it took a full 20 minutes of coaxing and bribery (new toys, coloured water, etc) to get her into the bathtub. Ever since, she's loved her baths - and swimming & waterplay too.

Q (T's mom)