Sunday, July 23, 2006

Heading home today

Today we make the trek back to Ottawa. On the one hand, I'm looking forward to settling into our house and having some stability for the girls. On the other hand, I'm going to miss everyone here, and especially miss all those extra hands so ready and willing to take on a cranky baby and make her smile.

This week at the cottage was fabulous in spite of a lack of sleep. E and A took really well to grandma, grandpa, aunts, uncles and cousins. And my sisters kids, J and M were big hits with the girls. J & M were willing entertainers. It's amazing how much fun 'arm-pit farts' can be for one year-olds. In fact, that's how M was able to tell A and E apart. He would do the arm-pit noises and whichever one smiled was E. (She loved it.)

I'm not looking forward to the drive to Ottawa. So far the girls have been in the car for a total of 4 rides and E, in particular, screamed for most of them. So, what will probably be 8 hours (at least) of driving today, will not likely be a lot of fun. Hopefully they'll fall asleep for at least part of the way. We were thinking about driving at night, to ensure they sleep, but we don't really want them to arrive somewhere new when they're sleeping. Don't want them waking up in a new place. And, of course, since I want them to sleep some on the way, last night they had their best night of sleep ever. A woke up once, but went back to sleep in a matter of minutes. And E woke up only a couple of times and went right back to sleep too. They both slept for about 10 or 11 hours last night. Of course, both were sleeping on the floor, where DoT and I could lie down next to them until they went back to sleep. We still haven't mastered putting them in a crib. Everytime you set them down, they wake just enough to start crying. We'll try the cribs in Ottawa, and hopefully it will come better.

To all of you who are wondering about when it would be an appropriate time to come and see the girls, we don't mind if you want to stop in any time. Just be forewarned.... if they're sleeping when you arrive, we won't be waking them up. You're welcome to tip-toe into their bedrooms and take a look, though. And to those of you who have offered to bring food, yes please! (Q -- any night this week is fine, just come on over.) That's one thing we are finding hard -- finding time to cook. Oh, yeah, and finding time to shower -- but I don't think you can help there. :-)

We expect to leave Shakespeare at about 10:30 a.m. this morning, so hopefully we'll be in Ottawa by about 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. Then we'll be staying put for awhile. (My mom is coming down to help out again next weekend.)

On a completely seperate note -- I meant to mention this earlier in the week, but forgot. One morning this week, DoT and I had the girls in the double-stroller wheeling them around. It was about 6:30 a.m. (we'd been out since about 5:00 a.m.), and E was crying, as she usually does when she's in the stroller. We walked past a woman who actually said, and I quote, "Someone's not happy this morning", and then turning to E she said "Mommy got you up too early." And I didn't hit her. I think I demonstrated remarkable restraint, for someone running on about 3 hours of sleep. :-)

Well, gotta go. See you all soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Hope everything settles down for all of you.

lb

Anonymous said...

Hi K,C,E & A --

Mom mentioned that your ride back to Ottawa went quite well -- better than expected anyway. I await details in your next blog post...if you manage to find time to do another one! I am sure you must be very busy, but probably relieved to be home.

I can tell you that I have totally missed seeing those two sweet girls when I woke up yesterday and today! It was such a nice way for me to start each day at the cottage...waking up to see their happy faces, bright-eyed and ready for action! . Not so great however, looking at their parents, and seeing total exhaustion on your faces. But we all know this will get better with time and I think you are seeing signs of this already. I sure hope the sleeping continues to improve...and for your sanity, that it does so quickly!

Thanks for a great week at the cottage. We all had a blast. I will have to try to arrange a trip to Ottawa soon too...poor J&M don't have such an attentive audience anymore now that you are gone!

Take care.

PF

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Chris and wife,

I am glad to hear that you have been getting lots of help and that on your return to Ottawa you are still getting help. Because I totally understand how tired you are right now because of the lack of sleep and trying to start a routine which none of you are use to.
I guess many of your family members and friends read my comment regarding bringing you food. That is good, you can concentrate on cocking and feeding the girls while you get help for your meals. Hourra!

I also remember how I was rushing to take a shower for the first few weeks, it was not relaxing at all.
This will also be just history in a few weeks. Bring the girls along in the bathroom and let them play on the floor with toys, it's much mure relaxing because you can have an eye on them while you have time for yourself. And the kids gets to like it because all they want is to be with you anyway.
With my oldest daughter, Tatiana, I was not able to go "pipi" alone until she was five, just to give you an example on how they follow you everywhere. With Britanie it's not too bad because she has Tatiana to keep her company while I so my personal things.

Reading your stories, Chris & wife, just makes me relive all of those feeling all over again, it's cute.

I wish you both the best of luck. You are exhausted right now but slowly both of you will overcome that, like we all did. And life will be wonderful.
I know it's a lot of work with twins, but I would have loved to have twins myself but it was not for us. And I am very happy with my 2 lovely daughters.
We got the chance to visit China twice.

Suggestion: When you prepare meals for your girls, start making double the recipe and freeze the rest in ice cube containers.
After half a day, transfer the blocks of food into plastic bags.
When you are very tired, it's so easy to put cubes in the microwave and just feed the kids.

Friendship, Chantal Lajoie.

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you're home and able to start settling in. I remember those days well.

T and I will pop in on Wednesday in the early evening (between 5 and 6). So I can get her to bed at a decent hour too!!

Q (T's mom)