Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Freaky Friday

So have you ever seen that movie with Jamie Lee Curtis where she is a mom and somehow she and her daughter get "zapped" and switch bodies? I think it was called Freaky Friday. I've never seen it, but I've seen commercials. Anyhow, I'm beginning to think we have had our very own "Freaky Friday" here. You may recall that at the beginning of our time with the girls E seemed like so much work and good, old A was such an easy baby. Well, they've done a role-reversal. E has really turned into a grinning, good-natured baby - even with not a lot of sleep last night -- and A has reverted to previous E-behaviour. It's a lot of work to get her to smile, and she seems to cry for no reason quite often. I'm sure there is a reason, but we can't seem to figure it out. She doesn't need a diaper change, she's not hungry, she cries when picked up, cries when put down, cries no matter what toy we put before her. I think she is just stressed and tired, and I'm starting to relate. :-) DoT has her out for a car ride right now in an effort to get her to sleep. (She did go down for a nap this afternoon, but it was only about 40 minutes.)

Last night was not a great night for either girl. They both went to sleep at about 8 p.m., but A woke up screaming at about 9:30 and then again at 10:45, and both times was very hard to calm down. They both slept between midnight and 3 a.m., but then E woke up screaming and I never got her back down. Oh, she slept some more, but whenever I tried to put her down the screaming would start again. I finally took her downstairs (figured one of us should get some sleep, and DoT won that one) and I watched the movie 'Ghost' while I held her.

And then today, they've been tag-teaming us again. E went to sleep for her afternoon nap just fine, but A absolutely refused. Just as I put A down in her crib after finally getting her to sleep, E woke up and started to cry. *Sigh* Oh well, hopefully tonight they will both be tired out and we'll have a better night.

Today I made an appointment for the girls at the International Adoption Clinic at the Children's Hospital. They specialize in international adoptions, and so are the perfect place to take the girls to get them checked out. Hopefully they can also answer some of our questions. I also had a call from a pediatrician who we had put our name in with (thanks to C & W for the heads-up on that one!) and he is willing to take on the girls. So it is all falling into place. And this after I've heard for years about how impossible it is to get a pediatrician in Ottawa. We've lucked out. The appointment with the International Adoption Clinic means that we need to get OHIP cards for E and A pronto. We plan to take a trip into the Ministry's offices on Thursday morning.

Well, that's it for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the good news about the "personality swap" is that at least you have one "hau baubau" (good baby) at all times :)

I was just thinking how your blog name is still appropriate, and probably will be for the forseeable future (and still waiting... for a good night of sleep). As with all the previous hurdles, don't give up, the day will soon arrive when everyone will be comfortable enough to go down for a full night's sleep.

As always, let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Looking forward to seeing more pictures!

M (&C)

Anonymous said...

Hi K&C, E&A

Yes, it could be stress at yet another change of scenery after just one week - again. Once you've had a few weeks in your own home, we all hope they'll be more settled.

I've told T we're going to see 'the new Chinese babies' tomorrow. We won't wake anyone up who's sleeping, promise!!

Hope tonight is better.

Q (T's mom)

Anonymous said...

You continue to amaze me (and my co-worker who quite often reads your blog before I do). How you find the time and the energy to update the blog is beyond me, but keep it up because we love it.

I think that some day E&A and also yourself and E's dad will get much enjoyment from reading and remembering everything that is happening right now in your lives.

It's interesting that A is now the one causing the problems and E is the happy one. Maybe A is following in E's footsteps and will soon change from being cranky to happy - or maybe it's just teething.

Keep your chin up because the good will soon outweigh the bad!

Your cousin, B & Co-worker

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris & Wife,

The feelings you are expressing are so true.
And you are expressing them in such a positive tone that without no doubt you are great parents and everything will fall into place very soon.

For the girls waking up screaming at night, it is absolutely normal, it's call "terreur nocturne" in French. I do not know the English translation, sorry.
It's some kind of anxiety dreams they are having. Lot's of kids who have been adopted, that I know, had them. And even non-adopted kids sometimes.

Britanie, my youngest, could wake me up 10 times sometimes per night, for the first 9 months. And all she wanted was me, not her father. I was exhausted.
So after 9 months of this, and me returning to work soon, this had to stop. So I had to let her cry for a couple of nights without going to see her (but I was talking to her a bit from my bedroom of course) and everything fixed itself after a week.
But in your case, I think they are still too young and they have not been with you long enough to try this yet. Just mention it to your doctor, specially at the adoption clinic, they might have tricks for you.

And it's a great thing that you are going to an adoption clinic because they really know what type of blood tests the girls should have. I went to Ste-Justine Hospital in Montreal for my girls for the first 4 visits and I am glad I did.

Keep up the good work. What you are living right now is just a normal process of being new parents with kids who are just getting to love and trust you. And always keep in mind that you are bless with two kids who are in good health. You life will become normal after a couple of months, trust me.

I can't wait to see your girls when Chris will come at work for a visit. I am in room 1429A, do not forget me please.

Friendship, Chantal Lajoie