Thursday, July 06, 2006

Porcelain!

Hi again, all. Okay, first I must confess, I made a mistake in my blog of yesterday. The internet access costs me 1 yuan per minute (not 70 per minute as I said). So, no need to take up a collection just yet.

And before I forget, I want to direct you all over the C & M's website where they are recounting this trip. It's a great site, with lots more interesting information than I have here. Check it out at http://realtravel.com/china-trips-i1683288.html

So today we visited a porcelain store. As you know, China is known for its porcelain (why do you think we call it china?) -- and Jiangxi is the province is most famous for its porcelain. So, we went to pick up a couple of momentos for the girls. (Even though we were given a gift of a small vase for each girl by the Jiangxi province officials when we adopted them.) Well, we purchased a couple of necklaces (for about Cdn$2 each) for the girls, but I couldn't stop there. I also purchased a tea set and a beautiful vase. Hopefully these things will make it to Canada in one piece. I think I'll be bringing them as carry-on baggage.

After the visit to the porcelain store, we also visited the People's Park in Nanchang. It was beautiful. Full of big trees, beautiful architecture, and lots of things to look at. Here are a couple of pics. I have at least 70 or 80 more.


We also visited a temple that is located close to our hotel. It was nice to get out with the girls, but it was really hot. I don't usually find it too bad when we're out, but the heat really does not agree with me. I can't take too much of it. Luckily this temple is only about a block from our hotel and we were there and back in about an hour. It was nice to see some greenery.

Now, on to discussions of the girls...

DoT and I have two theories when it comes to E. First, we now believe that she may have been sleeping in a family bed in her foster home. Last night, as with all the other nights, we managed to get E down in her crib by about 8:00 p.m. And once again, as with every other night, she woke up after a few hours. When this happens one of us picks her up, walks her around until she is asleep again (or very close to it) and then tries to put her back in her crib. And which point she starts a little meltdown. Well, last night at about 3 a.m., after several unsuccessful attempts at getting her into her crib, I finally just gave up and laid her down next to me on the bed -- between me and a wall. Well, she was quite happy to lay on the bed with me, and went to sleep relatively quickly. And any time after that that she started to fuss I just had to stroke her and she went right back to sleep. And we had to wake her up this morning to avoid being late for the trip to the porcelain factory! So this is now our new approach. To get her to sleep, we lay down on the bed with her. Here's a picture of her going to sleep tonight next to DoT..


DoT had his arm around her (but I made him move it so I could get this pic), and she was stroking his hair. She seems to like his hair. I guess 'cause it stands straight up like hers does. :-) Anyhow, she fell asleep with her arm around his head. How cute is that.

Our second theory is that she has never worn a diaper before this week. Although, we're less sure about this one. The theory is based on the fact that every time we've changed her diaper it is a pretty traumatic event for her. She screams, arches her back, clenches her legs together, etc. Once the diaper is on and we pick her up she is okay again. So, we're thinking that she used to be in split pants. (For those who aren't familiar with split pants, in China lots of babies wear split pants and no diaper. When it's time to go, they are just held over a toilet, or wherever they are meant to go, and let her fly.) The reason we're less convinced of this theory though, is that today I changed her and she was actually okay. So, I don't know what to think. I'd like to think she is just getting used to a diaper now, but I've changed her again since that time, with the same hysterics.


Yesterday, I think I promised a picture of A smiling. Anyhow, I didn't think at the time that I had a shot of her laughing, but DoT informed me that he had taken some pictures. I just wasn't looking in the right place for them. So, here's one of A, in a typical happy moment.








Also, some of you have asked for a picture of the whole family. Unfortunately, up until now, it's always been either DoT or I holding the camera. But tomorrow I'll try to get C or M to take a picture of us all. Until then, here's a couple of shots of E and A interacting. (They're not always this good with each other.)
















Finally, responses to comments to yesterdays blog...

  • Wendy -- Yes. The stores are generally air conditioned, as is the bus we use to get everywhere we go. Makes it a lot more enjoyable.
  • Auntie Em -- Their ears look a bit different to me, but I can't really tell. They just won't hold still side by side so I can really compare. :-)
  • SP -- A has 4 teeth, E has 3 (but we think the 4th may pop out soon). Family pic to come soon (hopefully)
  • meg -- Glad to hear from you too. Will pass on the "hi" to DoT. (P.S. We haven't called home because our phone card doesn't work from this hotel. Will call when we get back to Beijing.)
  • Cool Cat - ES -- we actually figured out who you were shortly after I ended my session last night. And yes, we have air conditioning in the hotel, bus, etc. It's only the government offices (where we're doing lots of paperwork) and outside that it's so stinking hot.
  • PF -- heh. Yeah, time when we're back home. I doubt it.
  • Q (T's mom) -- no problem on the Yuan. I've mentioned it to DoT, so hopefully one of us will remember.
  • UncleJ -- I don't know.... they can fill a diaper pretty fast. :-) Oh, and I can't check out that link yet. I get a pop-up box when I try and since it's in Chinese I can't see what it's saying. May be able to check it out when we get back to Beijing.

Okay, so that's it for tonight. Tomorrow we pick up the babies' passports, and then later in the day fly back to Beijing. So, there may not be a blog update tomorrow. It depends on what time we get into the hotel and how tired we all are.

Have a great day, all. Blog ya soon. K

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're doing really well given the weather, the sleep deprivation, mommy brain, etc. That you have a lot going on, on the other side of the world, is an understatement.

And the photos! Just too much sweetness there - I'm getting cavities just looking at them.

How are the girls reacting to each other? Have they figured each other out yet? Do they have any words - in either Chinese or English?

K&C - reading your blog is the high point of the day. Give the babies hugs for me.

lb

Anonymous said...

I recommend that all of you check out C&M's great blog! Great photos of the babies, and K&C.
lb

jag said...

Hi all!
Safe travel back to Beijing! Really enjoying the blogs - including C&M's... great pics. Thanks for the link. You all look great - sweaty, but great! :-)
PAX,
J.

Anonymous said...

Hi to the new family of 4!

Thanks for pictures. Now we can really see them. They are soooo cute. And I think I even saw a few bulges on A's thighs and elastics around her wrists. They do look very similar in these recent pics. Much more than the first ones you posted. And they have very lovely little round heads. Reminds me of W's (kidding). They probably have more hair!

I like your theories! As for the first one,,,great to go with what she knows. It will only help in the bonding process and increase her trust. I sure hope you have a queen sized bed at home!
The diaper theory,,,,hmmmm,,,I can give you the low-down when you're back.

I can tell from your entries that things are starting to settle down and you've both found your grove! Keep enjoying your trip and getting to know their birth country - it's a once in a lifetime trip. I sure hope Mary has been able to bring you to some good (authentic) restaurants. Surely there's a tofy dish out there that you'll like! :o)

Hugs
MJ

Anonymous said...

Hi. Good luck on your flight back to Beijing, hopefully the girls will sleep some of the time. You don't need to call home, this blog is keeping me up to date with what is going on in China. Waiting for you all to get back home, meg.

Anonymous said...

Hi K & C:

It was great to see the pictures on C&M's website, especially the ones of you and C with A and E. The more photos we see, the more A and E seem to look alike.

I was thinking the same as MJ. As I read the blogs each day, you guys really seem to be very comfortable with the girls.

We celebrated D's first birthday today. I kept thinking how neat it is that our kids are almost exactly the same age (exactly 9 days apart). I cannot wait to get them together.

I hope have a good trip back to Beijing. Can't wait to see you all.

SP

Anonymous said...

Hi K,C,A&E (it rhymes!)

I started crying when I saw the picture of that beautiful little E (in pink, I might add!) lying beside her Dad on the bed and reaching out to touch his ear/hair. What a wonderful, moment to catch in a photograph. Then I laughed when I saw the laughing picture of A. So visualize it -- Auntie 'Em crying and laughing while sitting alone in front of a computer! Your blog is turning me into an emotional old fool! But I am not complaining. I look forward to you getting home and getting settled, so that I can pay a visit and hug all four of you. (More happy tears, I'm sure!)

With love to all of you
Auntie 'Em
(BTW: Don't ever call me by this name, which is borrowed from The Wizard of Oz. It is for the blog only!)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Auntie Em - that photo of E with her dad is a tear-jerker (and not because it's sad, rather because it's sooooo sweet). I can just see the bonding happening - on both sides.

So your trip is about half-over now. You'll be in Beijing as I post - perhaps just arriving or settling into the hotel. Might be a wee bit cooler there? (Like 32 instead of 35!! :-D )

If you stuff that procelain with socks & underwear and surround it with t-shirts, you can put it in your checked luggage. I brought a tea set home that way. Will be good to keep your carry-on as little as possible - you'll have your hands full of girls!!

Love your blog (my Mom's visited too and enjoyed it, but she didn't comment.)

Q (T's mom)