Saturday, July 15, 2006

We made it.

Well, we made it to southern Ontario in one piece. When we arrived in Vancouver, we were fast-tracked through both Customs and Immigration. I guess they took one look at the six families with babies and decided they'd rather not have us all crying in the line-ups. So, they took us right through. It was a good thing, because even with C and M's help (collecting our luggage, scoping out where we were going, helping transport everything) we still arrived at the gate only just in time to board the flight to Toronto.

Both E and A were great travellers. They both slept a lot on both of our flights, which was great at the time. It meant that we weren't disturbing all the other passengers on the flight. But, it made it really uncomfortable for us, since we couldn't really move. Every time we moved slightly they woke up and started to cry. Also, that much sleeping meant that when we arrived here (last night at about 1 a.m.) both of them were wide awake. E stayed up until about 4 a.m., and A stayed up until about 5 a.m. (Even in spite of a 3 a.m. walk around the block in the strollers - and in the rain, that's how desperate we were.) Then E got me up at 6 a.m. DoT and A are still asleep (it's about 9:30 a.m. now). So, I'm running on about 1.5 hours of sleep during the last several days. When DoT gets up, I think I may need a nap.

I think adjusting to the time change is going to take the girls awhile. I've been told it takes 1 day per hour time change. Which would mean that we will be adjusting to the time change for 12 days. I'm hoping it doesn't take that long, but we shall see, I guess.

My mom, dad, brother and sister-in-law were at the airport to meet us last night. It was really great to see them. And if they hadn't come, there is no way we were going to get all our luggage home. It was never going to fit into the trunk of our car, and the back seat was taken up by the two car seats. Speaking of car seats -- E and A both hate them. I was hoping that they would be like normal kids and fall asleep when in a moving car. Not so much. E screamed a good 40 minutes of the trip home, and A joined her for some of that. Then this morning, E and I took a quick trip into Stratford to pick up diapers, and she screamed some more. Can't wait to drive 6+ hours back to Ottawa. (Although after surviving the 16+ hours of flying yesterday, the drive to Ottawa doesn't seem at all duanting.)

Well, I guess I better go (wake up DoT so I can go to sleep). :-) I doubt I will be updating this blog during the next week, since I won't have a computer at the cottage. Maybe if we come home to check on the cat sometime in there, I'll try to update. But I'm making no promises. (Abby -- the cat -- is fine, by the way.)

Caio, everyone.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi K&C&E&A,
I'm so relieved your back in Canada
safe & sound.(even if your not rested)I guess your going to have to fly every where so the girls will sleep. I think they'll get used to the car before long.They may even start sleeping and you and C will get some much needed rest.
I'm glad you had C&M to help and your family could come to the airport to help you.I would have loved to have been at the airport to
see you all. I hope you get to stay at the cottage.
Thanks again for keeping us all updated on the blog. We don't know how you managed to do it but we all appreciate it.Bye for now, I hope we will see you all before too long.
C's Mom

Anonymous said...

The first thing I thought of this morning when I opened my eyes was well, K, C, E & A must be home (well you know what I mean) now. I was thinking about you lots throughout the day yesterday, hoping that you were doing OK on the flight. Sounds like the girls were pretty good for you.

Hopefully having your family around you this week will be a big help and you will be able to get caught up on some sleep.

Hope it is nice weather for you this week. Pouring rain here in Ottawa today, which started just as soon as we finished staining our fence (of course).

Have a great week. Look forward to seeing you.

SP

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back in Canada - thought of you frequently yesterday, saying prayers for a safe and easy (as possible!) trip, and last night as we went to sleep was wondering how you'd fared in Vancouver. Glad it all worked out. (Never heard of them fast-tracking the families with babies before...!! Lucky you.) And I'm so glad you've got a week with family (and at the cottage too) - it can be rough trying to cope with upset kids and get over jet lag and time change too. You will need the help.

The rain didn't last long in Ottawa today - poured briefly, rained steadily for a while, then bright sun again. And we've had a few hot hot days with a few more to come - probably nothing compared to Nanchange, but hot enough for us! T & I are going camping for 3 days this week and I hope it stays nice for us!

I can't wait to see all four of you in the flesh!

Q (T's mom)

Anonymous said...

Back safe and sound! Great to hear that you had a good trip back.

The jetlag in babies is fun for sure. The worste part is that you'll be over it way before the girls.

So if anyone ever says (and you will eventually meet someone you does) that adoption is the "easy" way,,,,have them read your blog!!! Hee hee :o)

We'll just be missing each other in Ottawa as we are leaving for NB for two weeks when you arrive back. Not that you'll necessarily want visitors straight off anyway. We look forward to our first playdate sometime in August!

Thanks again for letting us follow you along in your trip.

Hugs,
MJ

Anonymous said...

WElcome home!!!! So glad you are back in Ontario!! Thanks for the blog. It was so great following your journey. Overcoming the jet lag took J about a week.. but even after a few days it was much better. (And from what I hear it is very different from with everyone.) The one piece of advice that we got that was good was to make sure to get in sunlight as much as possible and adjust meal times. (We had a middle of the night bottle for a couple of days even.. anything that works is worth it.) The 'fog' will lift soon. Enjoy your visit with your family. We can't wait to see you all so please come by when you are up to it. My basement is ready and waiting! :)) Dena

Anonymous said...

Hi K&C,

Glad to hear you made it to TO without too much hassle! Was sort of worried that you may miss the flight, or that the girls may not want to sleep (after sleeping so well on the first flight). At least all the crazy airport and airplane stuff is behind you :) Don't worry too much about the drive to Ottawa, you know how quickly things change with the girls, for all we know they will be loving their car seats by then!

I suspect they don't like the fact that they can't really see you well from the back seat. They will eventually get used to it, though. Just like strollers and cribs and big white noses :)

Can't wait to see you guys when you come back to Ottawa. I'm taking requests for food (any casseroles that tickle your fancy?).

Take care, and enjoy the cottage!!!

M (of C&M fame)

Anonymous said...

C&A&K&E:

I'm so glad you are all back and safe and sound.

It's a good thing you are in SW Ont, at a lake. In OTT there is a humidex warning - we're expecting 46 C with the humidity.

I second M's offer of casseroles! Or maybe it should be salads?

We're having an S&B at C's place on Wednesday, when we expect to complete four sweaters (not that they'll need them just yet!). We'll be thinking of you, and hope that M will be bringing more photos (?).

lb

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Chris and wife,
I am happy to hear that you had a good flight back and that it was quick for you in Vancouver, what a relief it must have been. I remember that part ...
The car seat, well I guess those Chinese girls are all alike because both of my kids hated with passion their car seats. It both took approximately 6 months to get used to it. Maybe it's because they spent so much time in their crib at the orphanage that they feel so trap in their seat now, I am not sure. Just be patient, they will adjust like other things.
Even if you are tired right now, hang in there. In a week from now, you will all start to fall into a routine and things will get better.
When you all start sleeping at normal hours, you will start feeling that you are less and less tired.
I wish you all the best and be sure to stop on the 14th floor when you come to visit with the girls.
Friendship, Chantal.