Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City

Hi again. You probably thought that there wasn't going to be a post today. I'm later than normal because we had some trouble getting the girls to sleep (in fact A is still up). More on that later. I almost didn't bother tonight, but since we're so close to the end of this trip, and I've posted every day, I didn't want to break the streak.

Today was a very busy day. We headed out at about 9:30 a.m. to go to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. It was really hot today, and we spent about 2.5 hours walking around in the heat, with no shade anywhere. I think most of the group regretted going afterwards, but I'm glad we did. It was nice to see it, and to be able to say we were there. But probably, we didn't need to spend as much time there as we did. I think I would love to go there in January through April, but the summer is just too hot. And with all the school kids on break right now, it was packed with people. So you couldn't really see much except the pack of people you were following. Anyhow, here are a couple of pictures...


















And here is a picture of DoT and I in really goofy looking hats. It was so hot here today that we purchased these hats (for 5 yuan each, which is less than $1) to keep the sun off our heads. They actually helped quite a bit. They are the only straw hats I've ever seen that fold.

We also had a group picture taken in the Square with all the families from our group. It will be a nice keepsake, and something DoT and I can use when we're trying to remember the names of all the people we've travelled with.


I also have pictures from the Forbidden City, but it is taking too long to load them and I'm eating up yuan, so I'm not posting those.

This afternoon, M and I went to the Pearl Market. We left the girls back at the hotel with DoT. I was a bit worried, because I can't imagine how I'd handle it alone with two (quite possibly screaming) babies in a small hotel room for a few hours. Turns out DoT was fine because the two slept for 95 percent of the time I was gone. I guess the heat of the morning had worn them out. Which was fine, until we tried to put them to bed tonight. Neither one was much interested in settling down. It's turning into a bit of a battle at nights to get them to sleep. And last night was the worst yet for them waking up. It wasn't just E, which it typically is, but A also had her moments last night.

However, they both were in fairly good humour today, as evidenced by these pictures taken a various points in the day. Both were hamming it up for the camera, I think...


A close up of E, at Tiananmen Square.














A back at the hotel, playing with one of our hats.













Tomorrow is a free day, although there is some shopping planned. In the morning, it is a visit to a silk manufacturing place where we can see them create the silk. And I think they are also planning to drive by the site where the Beijing Olympics will be in 2008. I wouldn't mind going, but it will depend on what time we all wake up. Given the lateness at which the girls went to sleep, I'm kind of hoping for a late morning too. In the afternoon, there is a shopping trip to another Centre planned. I may go to that, or I may head back to the Silk Market. I need to buy another suitcase to get some of this stuff home.

Thanks again, all, for the comments. I really enjoy reading them. I wish I was able to comment on them from here, but I can't seem to. But I will reply to one of them here... D -- don't worry about the lady and young man in the driveway. It is quite possible that it was our cleaning lady. She sometimes brings her son with her. And it wouldn't surprise me if she did set off the alarm.

That's it for today. Have a great day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI C & K... hope all four of you are sleeping soundly by now and have a great day tomorrow!! Enjoy your last little bit in China. BTW.. love the hats!! :))) D.

Anonymous said...

Hi K&C, E&A,

By the time you read this you'll probably have already gone (or not) to the silk factory, but just to say it's worth a visit - quite interesting to see the production process, and there's lots of shopping opportunities there too! (Somewhat pricier than the markets, but fixed prices so you don't have to haggle and nobody bugs you to buy...) I bought a few scarves and two silk quilts, one for me and one for T - both are in storage at the moment, will wait until she's older (and more able to appreciate) to haul it out.

Tiananmen Square & the Forbidden City in March were quite lovely. We went on our own in advance of the tour group and I'm glad we did, as I actually found going with the group too fast (not enough time to read the signs and just enjoy). It wasn't that horribly busy in mid-March.

Love the close-up of E!! And the pix of A with the hat. (A folding straw hat sounds quite handy, actually!)

Once you get home and get into a bit of a routine that suits you and the girls - one that doesn't involve getting on buses with a dozen other babies at prescribed hours, and going out for hours in the heat - I hope the girls can get into good sleeping habits. If not, I can recommend a good book with tips for creating good sleep habits...

Q (T's mom)

Anonymous said...

Hi K and C:

I must say your hats rival the see-through garbage-bag ponchos that CB and CB and I bought for 2 Euros while visiting the city of Brugge. It was pouring rain and we were tired of getting wet. We will see if I ever let anyone see those pictures....

SP

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Chris & wife,

This is too much fun reading your journal every day.
I think you will have to continue doing it when you are back at home and sell it. You could make money you know. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Your two girls are so gorgeous, you are very lucky.

Oh! boy! do I remember those sleepless nights in China. But I cannot imagine it with two babies at the same time.
You both are very courageous and I lift my hat to that.

Need more luggage. Brings back memories also.
Something we did when we left Beijing for Canada: we went thru all our baby stuff and personal hygiene stuff.
We kept the necessary we needed for the trip back to Canada and left everything surplus to our guide.
I tell you, every little bit less helped.

Is tomorrow your last day before departure ???

Friendship, Chantal Lajoie

Anonymous said...

Bonjour again Chris & wife,

I forgot to mentioned something quite important:
If there is an airline counter at your hotel where you can get your plane seats ahead of time, you should
definitely try to go at the opening time to reserve plane CRIBS for the girls. Those seats are limited and can be life savers.
Especially for you with two babies. Be fast because it's first come, first serve.
Even ask your guide if she/he can make arrangements for you with the airline company ahead of time.

Friendship, Chantal Lajoie