Sunday, July 02, 2006

Where to start...

Well, okay. Where do I start. This is the post everyone was waiting for, I think. Tonight at about 6:00 p.m., we got the girls. We were told to go to a room in the hotel at 6:00 p.m. When we arrived, the chaos had already started. About a half dozen of the babies had already been handed to their parents and several of them were crying pretty hard. They started with the Leping babies (ours were from Leping, but about half the families were getting babies from Wanzai) who had all been fostered. And they weren't happy to be handed to white folks with big noses, I'm guessing. Anyhow, we found E and A in the room, but weren't able to take them until they got to our turn and the orphanage director checked our paperwork and passports. Then the handoff happened. E and A were actually very good. Neither cried... well, okay, not then at least. We took them back to the room and for about 30 minutes everything was fine. Then the meltdown began. :-)

Both are asleep right now, but I have no illusion that it is due to either DoT's or my great skill with them. Instead, I think exhaustion finally took over. Thankfully. I think my arms are ready to fall off. Their paperwork says they are 7 kg (E) and 8 kg (A), but they felt more like 20 kg, after pacing around holding them for about an hour.

Both were wearing good luck talismans put on them by their foster parents. A was wearing the "key of longevity" -- a necklace and bracelets with bells in them -- plus some red thread (lucky) tied around her wrists. E had a Christian cross on red thread around her neck, and red thread around both her wrists.

And yes, it is parents - plural. I was disappointed to learn today that they were fostered out with different families. When they were abandoned they were both very small, and so the orphanage felt they needed individual care -- hence they were each placed with different foster moms. I had hoped they would be a comfort to each other, but I'm not sure that will be the case. Although, A definitely looked upset whenever E started to cry. So who knows.

Neither one ate anything tonight, and A is actually asleep right now in the clothes she was wearing (with the exception of a new diaper). But they are asleep. And right now that's what's important to me. We'll try to get them to eat something tomorrow. (We tried tonight, but neither was much in the mood to eat.)

I know you were all hoping for pictures, but I can't seem to see any right now on my camera flash card. I'll check with C&M to see if they have any pics (they captured a lot on video and I think they took some pictures too), but won't likely have any until at least tomorrow. Sorry. But you'll just have to wait.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Sounds like everything went as smoothly as possible within the organised chaos. So precious that their foster parents prettied them up with jewerly.

Can't wait to hear more about them! Hugs.

MJ

jag said...

From a half-world away, Happy Belated Canada Day (July 1)... Happy Belated Birthday to the girls (June 27) and especially, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU & YOUR NEW FAMILY (July 2)!!

Thanks for the ongoing stream of news. What an experience this must be! It's such a thrill to follow along... You are all in our prayers. And no need to apologize re: photos - heck, how long have you guys been waiting?? The least we can do is take our turn!

Wishing you patience & sleep!
Love,
J&B
p.s. Something tells me you may have less time for posting now. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good morning E and A!
Hope you little ones ate (and slept) today and got to know C & K a bit better. They are going to be wonderful parents!

lb

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom and Dad

I am thrilled for all of you. Like you, it had never occurred to me that the girls were being fostered in different homes. So how wonderful is it that you are making it possible for A&E to be together?! Although I am certain it is all a bit unnerving for you right now, I am happy to know that the girls are doing all the right things like crying! By the time you are back home, you will have the care and nurturing thing down to a science. Hope the girls like hockey -- the home team has made some interesting changes to their roster. ;-) Can't wait to see pictures.

With love to all of you
Auntie 'Em.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your growing family. We can't wait to see them in real life.

Cindy and Walt

Anonymous said...

Well, it has finally happened! Congratulations!! I am certain that the next little while will be trying for all 4 of you. Just remember -- if the girls are tired enough, they will sleep. And when they get hungry enough, they will eat. Hang in there. Can't wait to hear more when you have the chance.
PF

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! The big day has finally arrived. Can't wait for you to get home. ENJOY. MEG

Anonymous said...

Hi K, C, E&A!

The post we have been waiting for indeed! Pics will be nice when you get to it, but as I recall, there's a lot less time for posting once you're parents. (And I just had one almost-5 yr old - but babies sleep more than older kids...)

Glad to hear everything went as smoothly as possible. The girls may have been fostered by different families, but remember that they spent their very first 9 months in VERY close proximity, so I bet there's some lingering "memory" or familiarity there.

Every morning and evening as I wake up or go to bed, I've been thinking, "K&C will be doing such & such" - just like I did before I got T. This morning it was "they must have the girls by now" - and soon it will be "they'll be getting up for their first full day together"! I hope all continues to go well.

Q (T's mom)

Anonymous said...

Hi C and K:

Congratulations!!!! I am not sure there is much else to say. I hope your first night was OK (i.e, they slept through and didn't get up too early).

I am sure A and E will start adjusting pretty quickly and don't worry about the eating thing. Kids will not starve themselves.

Take care
SP