Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Greetings from Southern Ontario

Hi again,

So, this will be a quick update since we're just back in Shakespeare to check up on the cat and make sure she still has food and water.

Things are going fairly well at the cottage. Thank Heavens for the help of family members. I don't think I'd be surviving if it weren't for them. E and A have reacted quite well to the new people, which is a relief since it makes it possible for someone else to hold one of them so that we can actually take a shower or eat ourselves!

The jet lag is brutal. Right now the days and nights of the girls are all messed up. They don't want to sleep at all during the night. Yesterday we made an effort to keep them awake most of the day (with an afternoon nap) so that they would hopefully sleep last night. By 6 p.m. we could hardly keep them awake. No matter what we did, they were nodding off. So, we gave them baths and they were in bed by 7:00 p.m. It was the first time I can remember them going to sleep without any trouble. They slept for about 3.5 hours. Then they were both up for about an hour and then slept for another 2.5 hours, bringing us to about 2:30 a.m. And then they were up for the "day". Believe it or not, I am somewhat happy with this. I guess it's in comparison to the two nights before that where they slept about 2 hours only. So, we are trying the same approach today. They didn't have a nap this morning, but slept about 45 minutes in the car on the way to Shakespeare from the cottage (after the "mandatory" 10 minutes of screaming after being put in their car seats). And I expect they will sleep another 45 minutes on the way back to the cottage. Then we'll try to keep them up to at least 7 p.m., and hopefully even a bit later.

So, the last three nights in a row one or both of them have had the privilege of a moonlit stroll in their own private chariot (i.e., stroller). We had hoped that the stroller ride would put them out, but no such luck. I guess it's not working its charm like it did those first days in China. They better start sleeping better soon, because we're running out of tricks.

That's it for this post. There might be another one this week -- not sure if we will be making another trip to Shakespeare. Cross your fingers, everyone, that we will soon be getting more sleep -- even 6 uninterrupted hours would be great. On the up side, we didn't have to wait in line at Tim Hortons when we were there this morning at 5 a.m. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A&E
Eight of us had an S&B at C's house last night. M brought the video of you meeting your mom and dad. There wasn't a dry eye in the house.

lb

Anonymous said...

If I am not mistaken you will be back in your own home soon. That means the hometown crowd will soon begin lining up at your door to meet the girls in person! Just so that I am not at the back of the queue, I would like to extend an invitation to you to come to my house for dinner any night of your choosing after you get back. Since I don't cook, I will order in Chinese food from my favourite local restaurant in honour of the occasion! And of course, I will have a selection of appropriate beverages on hand! Hope to see you soon, but if it takes a few years for you to accept this invitation, I will totally understand! Have a safe trip back home. Poor Abby is never going to figure this all out!

With love
Auntie 'Em
xo

Anonymous said...

Hi K and C:

Yes, we have all be talking so much about how we cannot wait to see meet A&E. Obviously the line-up is going to be quite long.

I think it is really important for you to have some time as a family once you are back home. I will leave it up to you to let me know when you think you are ready for a visit (or you could always pop into work one day - and kill a whole bunch of birds with one stone!!!).

I hope you had a good trip back from the cottage. Take care.

SP

Anonymous said...

I think you've got the best strategy - keep them up as long as possible in the day. And get plenty of sunshine during the day so their internal clocks start to adjust.

T & I just got back from a 3-day camping trip and will leaving next Friday (28th) for another, longer one down to Toronto & Stratford.

I'd love to bring a pot of chili over one evening this week (and if it suits, just pop in to see the girls for 5 minutes - but I can bring the chili over regardless). Let me know if you'd like to take me up on this offer. (Monday 24, Tuesday 25, Wednesday 26 or Thursday 27)

Q (T's mom)