Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A light day today

We did not make it to the silk factory. E developed a fever over night and it wasn't a great night for any of us. So, we just couldn't haul ourselves out of bed in time to catch the bus this morning. Plus, we thought it best not to drag E out with a fever. We've been giving her baby tylenol, which seemed to be working earlier in the day, but less so now. She still has a fever, but with the exception of being cranky when she's tired, she is still in pretty good spirits. And is still drinking lots of formula and apple juice. The baby of another couple in our group had a fever earlier in the week, which lasted 2 days. We're hoping this is the same thing and by tomorrow night all will be back to normal. We'll see.

This afternoon we went shopping (again). We went to the Washow market. It is very much like the Silk Market. Five floors with various articles, and lots of bartering. We bought another piece of luggage -- it says it's Sampsonite, but who knows for sure. Anyhow, it's a large suitcase and only cost us 100 yuan (or about $13 Canadian). Also, this afternoon on the street I bought a mans and ladies "Rolex" watch set. I know they aren't real Rolexes, but DoT had said he was going to buy one while he was here, and he didn't yet. So, I bought this set from a lady on the street. I paid 20 yuan (or about $2.50). She was really not happy about the deal, but I figure I didn't force her to take it. In the end when she finally agreed to 20 yuan, I handed over the bills and then she tried to only give me one of the watches. When I started to chase her down the street and snatch at the money I'd just given her, she then handed over the other watch.

Close to the Washow market was a store that sells jewelery with Chinese characters on it. I bought two pendants for the girls, which each have the Chinese symbol for "double happiness". I figured it was appropriate for them, since they are twins and their Chinese names, when put together, mean happiness.

I have no pictures of anything from today, since there really wasn't much worth taking photos of. So, I figured I'd give you a shot or two from the Forbidden City, which we visited yesterday...
















Tomorrow is our last full day in China -- we fly home on Friday. (Today we received the visas for the girls, and the Canadian immigration paperwork we need.) I'm looking forward to getting back to Canada, but not to the flight home. I have a feeling we're going to miss our connection in Vancouver. I think we only have a couple of hours in Vancouver between flights, and from what I understand about the time needed to clear customs and get through immigration, I'm not holding out a lot of hope. Oh well, what's one more night?

Tomorrow we are going on a hutong tour. We will travel via rickshaw through the small alleyways that tradionally the Chinese people have lived in (many are now, sadly, being torn down), and visit the home of someone living there. Then tomorrow night the whole group will go out for a final dinner together -- for Beijing Duck (previously known as Peking Duck). After that, all that's left is packing.

That's it for tonight. Keep your fingers crossed that we actually get some sleep tonight. Thanks, K.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi K&C, E&A,

Too bad you missed the silk factory but sleep and health are more important!

The hutong tour is great too - hope you make that one. In fact I think that was my fave from all the group tours.

Re the flight home - I've told E's dad this, but I'll recap here because who knows if he remembers...
I'm presuming C&M are on the same flight back as you. That will help.
It's probably a bit of a hike from the gate you'll come in on to the customs & immigration area in Vancouver (if you're in the same area we flew in on). Whoever can walk fastest, just boot and get in line. Everyone else can meet up with that person when you reach the immigration line. (So the others in line might not like if 1 person standing there suddenly morphas into 6, but this is not the time to worry about them!) There is a single snaking line leading up to a bunch of customs & immigration booths, not all of which will be open. When you get to the customs & immigration booths, it shouldn't take long to get through. Then, send C&M straight ahead to get everyone's luggage, while you and E'd dad make a sharp right and head for the immigration room where you will need to clear the girls' immigration papers. There will be another line-up there, many of whom will be your compatriots with their girls but some of whom will be others. Among the people you know, if there are others who have more time to make connections than you, don't hesitate to ask to go first. Once you get everything squared away, you leave the immigration room and head to the spot where you leave the customs & immigration area to make your connectsions (that's where there is someone standing there to take your customs declaration form). C&M can be waiting for you with your luggage either at the exit of the immigration room or at the spot where the guy takes your customs form. That will save you having to hunt for luggage and should shave at least 10 minutes off the time you need to get through. Not much, but might be enough to make the difference between making a connection or not (would have for us).
If C&M aren't on the same flight, see if you can find anyone in the group who's an "extra" who might be able to be the luggage hunter. I think you both need to go through immigration with the girls, otherwise I'd suggest one of you being the luggage hunter while the other does the immigration thing. Maybe ask one of the other experienced families (on their second adoption trip) if they know.

Hope this helps! I'd hate anyone having to go through what we did on the way home (12 hours in Vancouver airport plus two middle-of-night flights...)

Q (T's mom)

Anonymous said...

Dear K, E's Dad, A & E.
Just a note to let you know I'm enjoying following your progress in China. K, you are a great story teller! A girl that I work with is also following your stories. She thinks that you must be very feisty chasing that Chinese woman for your money. I hope that your trip home goes as well as it can. Really looking forward to meeting A and E.
Your cousin, Bonnie

jag said...

Hey K - gotta thank you for the hilarious image of you chasing down a Chinese woman demanding your money back!! You who never liked shopping in the first place - it might be scary bringing you to a store back in Canada. :-) I'll just smile and say "Don't mind her; she was traumatized by a seller on the streets of Beijing..."

I *love* the idea of the double happiness pendants! So thoughtful and appropriate.

Gotta admit, I'm curious about something. So, how long did it take you guys to fall hopelessly in love?! (Clarification: with the GIRLS, not with each other!!) Is there a moment when you knew?? Probably a question only a non-parent would ask...

In case I don't get a chance to comment again before you leave, BON VOYAGE!! Sounds like you're ready to take it as it comes, and that's probably the wisest approach. We look forward to seeing you the week of the 24th sometime!! We still have to deliver your gift! :-)

PAX & Blessings to you all... xox

Anonymous said...

Hi C and K:

I hope E's fever does not last too long. There could always be so many reasons for fever (D seems to get them quite a bit).

I guess this will be probably be my last comment before you return to Canada. I wish you all a safe and unadventurous journey. Enjoy your 'vacation' at the cottage. I am sure your family cannot wait to meet E and A.

We all look forward to our opportunity to meet them (oh yes, and to see you again of course:-).

SP

Anonymous said...

Hi K&C, E&A,

I too hope that E's fever is gone soon, and that it is not passed on to A in the meantime. (Some would say that I shouldn't even suggest such a thing, but I always feel it is better to verbalize the worst case, because then it often doesn't happen...I hope you subscribe to that theory as well, since I've already gone and said it!)

I hope you have smooth flights and successfully catch your connection in Vancouver. If things get rough, just tell yourself that once you reach the cottage there will be lots of willing (actually eager) hands to help. Hopefully you will have lots of opportunity to relax.

Take care.
PF

P.S. -- J and M are very excited to meet their new cousins.

Anonymous said...

Hello. We are thinking of meeting you at the airport, maybe we can help with luggage etc. Also someone could drive Chris. or you to get the car rather than waiting for the shuttle bus. Also will you be bringing the strollers that you have been using with you or should I bring the one we have here. Hope your flight goes well. If you miss your connection just give us a call and we won't go. Mom.

Anonymous said...

Hi K, E's dad, E&A,
Thank you so much for the wonderful updates on your journey.... the girls are absolutely delicious. I can't wait to love-them-up!!
I am also in awe of your deeply hidden shopping abilities K (I too can't get the chasing-down-the-road imagine out of my mind) - and to think of all the teasing and abuse I get doing a wee bit of window shopping at Bayshore SC on a cold & dreary Wednesday night. Ha! How many pairs of shoes did you say you are bringing back??
Can't wait to see you all. I'm sending lots of positive vibes for your flight home. Keepin smilin. You're both amazing!! :0) Hello also to M&C.
Love,
Marion xo

Anonymous said...

Hi all

I too am laughing out loud at the thought of you chasing some poor (and I do mean poor) little old lady down the street to get a second fakex for your $2.50 investment! You drive a very tough bargain, woman! Fever could be due to teething? Did you notice all the messages saying that people can't wait to get their hands on your daughters (myself included)? What did I tell you about the zoo story not ending for about the next 30 years! Hope you all enjoy your last day in China. Wishing you an uneventful trip home.

With love
Auntie 'Em