Monday, July 03, 2006

Day 2

Today was exhausting. We went to the Civil Affairs Office to legalize and finalize our adoptions. Then we went to another office for the Notary. In all, the trip took about 4 hours and it was brutally hot. And we've learned something about E and A -- they are not happy if they are not moving. Particularly E. And today involved a lot of sitting around and waiting. So none of us are in great moods tonight. Add to that the fact that I got about 3 hours of sleep last night and you'll know my state of mind. :-)

The girls slept pretty well last night, but I couldn't fall asleep until about midnight. Then, at 3 a.m., E was up and would only sleep if one of us held her. Everytime we tried to put her in her crib she screamed bloody murder. So, from 3 a.m. on, one of us was awake holding her while she slept. If there was only her we might have tried letting her cry herself to sleep, but I was too worried she'd wake up A who would then join in the screaming. A slept great, by the way. Down by 8:15ish, and slept right through until about 7:30 a.m. And then when she did wake up she was content to just lay in her crib looking around and playing with toys. She is generally much more likely to allow us to put her down, then E is. Which is lucky because E is turning into a high maintainance baby.

Today when my and DoT's backs are ready to give out from all the carrying around we've been doing, we finally decided to try to put them in their strollers. (The hotel in Nanchang provided a crib, stroller and bath for each baby.) We had been avoiding it because we knew they wouldn't like it, which they didn't... for all of about 20 paces. Then they quieted down. So, I know what we'll be doing tonight when they cry -- hitting the road, or at least the hallway.

Here, at last, is a picture of each baby. I just took them a minute ago, and as you can see although they're not crying neither is very happy either...
















The first one is E, and the second one is A.

That's it for today. I'll try to post again tomorrow. I should have more time than today, so I don't really have an excuse (although any number of them may come up).

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful girls! You both sound exhausted, and understandably so. Our fingers are crossed that A continues to sleep like she did last night for you, and hopefully a little of this will rub off on E! In a matter of time anyway...
Take care.
PF (PS - J & M say "Hi Donkey")

Anonymous said...

Hi you two brave souls. This is Cheryl's Mom in Guelph. I see that the girls are not in split pants! I presume you have seen the rest of the Chinese baby population in that 'style' Your daughters have lovely soft expressions - they're just beautiful. What a life change you are in for - enjoy!
I hope you'll have several opportunities to see and experience a little of China - we just loved the people we met and there are some stunning sights. Have you 'backpackers' for the girls? Navigating strollers may be tricky at the Great Wall.
I look forward to your daily bolgs....
June Kaethler

jag said...

Hi Guys!
Hopefully you're getting a bit of sleep as I write this. I think I've figured out that when you're awake, we're asleep - and vice versa...

Sounds like you've had quite the first night. As a non-parent who likely has NO CLUE what she's talking about :-), I suspect the girls are expressing themselves in the only way they know how... The world as they knew it has dramatically changed - and so has yours!! The difference is you guys have been preparing for this for a long time and are better equipped to express it, and cope with it. Give the girls a calm hug from me... and take one for yourselves too!

Thanks for sharing your experiences so honestly and vividly. It helps us support you in the only way we can right now - by sending you good thoughts & prayers!

Wishing you all continued PEACE & PATIENCE... xox

jag said...

p.s. ...and the girls look healthy and absolutely beautiful! Thanks for the pics.

Anonymous said...

Hi all

Your daughters are beautiful! And you expected the fussing, so it is all good! (Okay, so maybe the expectation and the real thing aren't quite the same.) You could try co-bedding to see if it helps calm E? Wish I could be there to take a shift so you could catch a few zzzzz's.

With love to all of you
Auntie 'Em

Anonymous said...

Hi C&K,
Things will get better soon.Hang in there.Your daughters are beautiful.We are all looking forward to seeing all four of you.I've been up the last two mornings at 7AM to check the blog.The Aunties are all calling to find out the latest up date.Everyone
is happy for you and wish you all the best.Hi girls from GC &GG.Love
you all.
C's M&D

Anonymous said...

Welcome to parenthood by fire!

I hear ya, loud and clear. I know you're tired. It's an aweful feeling especially in that heat. Hang in there! I know you've heard and read it all before on the chats and probably the pre-travel seminar, but I'll second Auntie Em's suggestion about co-sleeping. They were both likely cosleeping unless of course you were told otherwise. And in that case, you're outta luck and do whatever the heck works (except the crying part),,,well OK,,,you can cry yourself to sleep if you think that will help! Tee hee!

If it's any consolation, we frequently had to have ML fall asleep in our arms while pacing the room and then gingerly lie on the bed with her on our chest (even though she had not been cosleeping).

OK,,,so more details on the girls please pretty,,,,,are they walking, crawling, babling, etc?

Hope you all had a better sleep last night!

Hugs
MJ

Anonymous said...

Hi K&C! (& E&A)
As I write this you'll be getting up for your second day as a family. Hope everyone slept better last night. I'd second the co-sleeping idea. T didn't want it at first - but then she was a lot older - but after a while she wanted to come to Mommy's bed and still sometimes crawls in with me in the middle of the night. (As she kicks a lot less than she used to, I don't mind so much.)

Love the pictures - the girls are gorgeous. Tell us more about them if you can.

Q (T's mom)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Chris & Karen. Just to let you know, all my babies, including the twins, slept in bed with Archie & I. If I didn't pull them in with us, I wouldn't have had ANY sleep at all. In most cultures, that's the reality they live with...no cribs, separating family units!

I'm glad that everything is going well for you now and hope that you adjust to the heat.

Take care....We miss you!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Hi!! Wow, I didn't check your blog for a couple of days and, well...alot can happen in a couple of days!! I love the way your entries have shifted from descriptions of the country and sites to talk of cheerios and diaper changes! I also note that your spelling and grammar seem to have deteriorated a little over the last few days. However, that's to be expected - as I think I did warn you, babies suck your brain cells - just be happy there are four of you there, or you'd be complete babbling idiots by now.

They do look beautiful and sound like pretty normal babies! I have to echo all the previous comments on how happy I am for you, and how much we are looking forward to your return and a chance to meet the girls. (That's another thing about parenthood - no one really cares about you anymore! It's all about the girls!!)

Hope you're getting more sleep. Thanks for all the information and pictures. See you soon -

Cathy B